Hi! I’m Chen, a Postdoctoral scholar in Mechanical Engineering at UC Berkeley. I am a member of the Mechanical Systems Control Lab supervised by Prof. Masayoshi Tomizuka. Prior to this, I obtained my PhD in Mechanical Engineering at UC Berkeley, and my bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). I have also spent time in Honda Research Institute and Waymo as intern.
The goal of my research is to develop trustworthy and safe intelligent autonomous systems interacting with humans (e.g., autonomous vehicles). I am interested in improving the transparency and robustness of learning-based autonomous systems, by incorporating domain knowledge and other techniques (e.g., model-based control, explainable AI) with deep learning models in a principled manner. Applications of my research include multi-agent trajectory prediction, interaction modeling, motion planning, and vehicle control.
For more information, please refer to my CV. Please feel free to contact me for research discussion and collaboration!
- 04/2023: I am selected as one of the 30 Robotics Pioneers for the RSS Pioneers Workshop 2023!
- 03/2023: I will serve as an associate editor for IEEE ITSC 2022.
- 03/2023: Our paper “Double-Iterative Gaussian Process Regression for Modeling Error Compensation in Autonomous Racing” is accepted by IFAC World Congress 2023.
- 11/2022: We are organizing the Workshop on the Development of Socially-compliant Driving Behaviour for Automated Vehicles at IEEE IV 2023!
- 07/2022: We are organizing the Workshop on Progress and Challenges in Building Trustworthy Embodied AI at NeurIPS 2022!
- 07/2022: One paper on trajectory prediction pretraining is accepted by ECCV 2022.
- 06/2022: Selected for DSCD Rising Stars Invited Talks at MECC 2022.
- 06/2022: Three papers are accepted by IROS 2022.
- 06/2022: One paper on hierarchical offline RL is accepted by RA-L.
- 05/2022: Successfully defended my dissertation titled “Designing Explainable Autonomous Driving System for Trustworthy Interaction”.
- 05/2022: I will serve as an associate editor for IEEE ITSC 2022.
- 09/2021: One paper on behavior prediction is accepted by NeurIPS 2021.
- 09/2021: One paper on conservative offline RL is accepted by CoRL 2021.
- 05/2021: I will serve as an associate editor for IEEE ITSC 2021.
- 05/2021: Co-organizing IROS MAIR2 Workshop on Multi-Agent Interaction and Relational Reasoning.